Okay, let’s be honest with each other. You’ve watched Marie Kondo on Netflix, or at least seen the ‘how to fold’ clips on YouTube, but you actually haven’t done anything about your own wardrobe disaster! Well, you would not be the first person, nor the last to finally get around to tidying up your closet clutter. We have put together a shortlist of 5 Tips To Clear The Clutter so you can stop feeling guilty, and start enjoying using your wardrobe!
Before we start, pull all of your clothes out of your wardrobe and place on your bed. Then sort them into piles by categories (pants, t-shirts, jumpers, activewear etc.).
1) Go through each category by picking up one item of clothing at a time and consider if it’s a “Keep”, a “Maybe” or a “Nope”. Only keep items that you love, that fit you now, and that makes you feel good. Remember the Year Rule – if you haven’t worn it in the past 12months….chances are you have moved on from it, and you should move it on!
*TIP: With everything out of your wardrobe, now is a perfect opportunity to quickly vacuum and wipe surfaces inside the wardrobe – so chop-chop!
2) Back to your 3 piles of clothes, we need to turn our attention to the “Maybe” pile. Be honest with your decisions. We only wear about 20% of our wardrobe 80% of the time, so ask yourself again – do you really wear that sweater? If you’re still not sure, hang the item in your wardrobe with the hook facing backwards and in 12 months’ time if the hanger is still facing backwards, you haven’t worn it and it’s probably time to let it go.
3) Now you’re down to 2 piles: “Keep” and “Nope”. Put the “Nope” pile into bags/boxes and donate to charity, or give to a friend.
4) One more step with your “Keep” pile. Pull out all the clothes that are not currently in season, and store them in clear plastic containers or vacuum seal bags and store them under the bed or another storage area in your house (i.e. garage, attic). Then return the rest of the “Keep” pile in-season clothing to your wardrobe.
5) Go one step further and use the KonMari folding method for clothes in drawers. Hang your clothes in order of type (jackets through to light t-shirts), or by colour. Now stand back and admire your hard work. Ahhhh…satisfying! To really stay on top of things, diarise your “Clear The Clutter” for in 6 months’ time.
We hope this blog has been useful in helping you declutter your wardrobe. Even the most de-cluttered wardrobe can still look untidy if the right wardrobe system/organiser is not installed. Wardrobes Online offer a great range of systems, from shelf towers, to drawer towers and plenty of hanging spaces as well as utilising a top shelf for those less frequently used items. Wardrobes Online wardrobe systems are affordable and easy to install, and make a huge difference in your wardrobe – you will wish you had installed one sooner! Check out our range on our website www.wardrobesonline.co.nz